Winston Lutz unable to detect BB size Varian sugar cube

I’m having an issue analyzing a WL using Varian’s sugar cube. I’m assuming the BB size is too small (~2 mm). I think the issue is in def _find_bb, but I’m not entirely sure what to change for the code. I was wondering if it’s possible to run the analysis on BBs under 2 mm. I attached a zip file of the images.

File “”, line 1, in
File “C:\Users\htran\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pylinac\winston_lutz.py”, line 205, in analyze
img.analyze(bb_size_mm)
File “C:\Users\htran\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pylinac\winston_lutz.py”, line 834, in analyze
self.bb = self._find_bb(bb_size_mm)
File “C:\Users\htran\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pylinac\winston_lutz.py”, line 933, in _find_bb
raise ValueError(
ValueError: Unable to locate the BB. Make sure the field edges do not obscure the BB and that there is no artifacts in the images.

WL images.zip (29.9 KB)

Hi,

Since Version 3.0.0 you can set the bb size in the analyze method:
https://pylinac.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changelog.html?highlight=py_gui#id31

regards
Thomas

I tried using wl.analyze(bb_size_mm) but it still seems to not recognize the bb.

Hi,

What bb sizes did you try? If you have a 2mm BB did you also try a.e. 3mm BB size? .analyze(bb_size_mm=3)

regards
Thomas

I’ve not seen 8-bit images in quite some time, much less a truebeam; I didn’t know that was possible! Not only is the bb quite small, the image appears quite noisy. I’m not sure if this is from a low number of MUs, but the bb, even if the size wasn’t an issue, is difficult to find in this image. Here’s a representative image converted to binary (the step to find the bb). I can’t make out the BB and neither can the algorithm. I’d try again w/ more MU and/or bigger field if possible.

noisy_wl.png