V3.0 release candidate

Hello all,
I have just posted a package to pypi for the v3.0 release candidate. This is a major version change and instead of just releasing it I’m opting for a release candidate to weed out any severe bugs that may have slipped in. I have included upgrade hints to give guidance on how to port to this newest version.

You can install the early version like so:
pip install pylinac --upgrade --pre

What’s new? A lot! You can read about the changes here: Changelog. This release includes 4 new planar phantoms being added, a completely overhauled flatness & symmetry module (now called field analysis), v4 trajectory logs, a generalized output data mechanism and more.

If you find any bugs please report them on github.

Enjoy!

Hi James,

thanks for the good work. I just tested the PTW EPID Phantom Code an it worked like a charm.
Will you update the GUI for the final release?

With kind regards

Thomas

I replied to Thomas privately (accidentally). Here’s my reply with some edits and clarifications:

Hi Thomas,I’m glad it’s working for you. Unfortunately, the GUI has been a thorn in my side for a long time now and I no longer update it anymore. It’s very difficult to test and doesn’t add any value for me. QATrack (e.g.) is an excellent place to integrate pylinac and maintaining a GUI just seems like overlap to me. It was never really intended to have a GUI, it just sort of happened and I’ve regretted it ever since. Sorry about that. I do think, however, that a GUI wouldn’t be hard to make. It’s not that I disagree with it, it just doesn’t align with my current needs and philosophy. I’m sure more people might end up using pylinac if it had a nice GUI, so I encourage the community to work on it as I get asked about it somewhat regularly. E.g. @brjdenis has made an awesome GUI/server with pylinac: brjdenis/pyqaserver: Pylinac and Orthanc web interface for faster quality assurance (github.com) including some great documentation.

Thanks,
James