Pylinac 3.16

Hey everyone,
I haven’t posted for each release like I used to. Considering that the release cycle went from every few months to each month it seemed spammy to post every time. However, I thought it would be a good reminder that every month for the last year to year-and-a-half pylinac has had a new release. This is in line with the RadMachine release cycle which is monthly. As stated when we developed RadMachine, pylinac remains open-source and the community benefits from this by getting everything RadMachine customers get in their image analysis, albeit without the nice UI =)

So far, this process has worked out well for us and we don’t anticipate this changing in the future.

Some cool things that I’m excited about this release (3.16, out today) is CBCT WL and a new 1D and 2D plugin system. This lets you create discrete metrics for profiles or 2D images. E.g. penumbra and flatness for 1d and a generic BB locator for 2D. The plugins are extensible and should be considerably easier to fathom and use/re-use. More generic plugins will be added as they are developed. The intent is to replace long internal functions with reusable, specialized plugins. This will make customization easier in the future for both myself and the end user if they want to replace a logic pattern with something else.

CatPhan nominal HU values are also now much easier to pass in.

Almost every new release has had at least one phantom analysis added. If you were waiting for a specific phantom please check the release notes.

Documentation on specific topics has been slowly enhanced over time and this will continue.

Pylinac is taking on a more modular approach internally and modules that used to be for internal use are now able to be used generally by the end user. As these get converted and added the topic documentation will also update and grow.

Here’s the changelog you can read for specifics: Changelog - pylinac 3.16.0 documentation

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi James,

I am always impressed by the speed pylinac grows. I really like the new profile classes and their modularity. This makes life easier for all of us who are not US based. Thanks.

regards,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas! It only took a few years to get it right :upside_down_face:I’m spending a lot of time now on generalizing some of the common image detection features and making them usable standalone, so it will keep coming as we go along.

Hi James, thank you for keeping the pylinac backend open sourced. It is not only a great tool for QA but also educational purposes. Personally I learned a ton when dissecting the source code. Keeping this bazaar mode functioning for Pylinac is not easy. Thank you for the hard work!

Ruoxi